Are you a whiz with words? Passionate about social justice community-led development? Keen to lend your expertise to help a great little organisation mark their 20th anniversary?
We are recruiting for an Editor to develop a short publication collating stories from indigo foundation and our community partners to mark our 20th anniversary. This time-limited assignment is a fantastic opportunity to connect with a range of committed volunteers and community leaders in Australia and overseas.
If you have experience writing, editing and project managing publications, and an interest in community-led development, we would love to hear from you.
As Editor, you will be responsible for developing a publication, 20 Stories in 20 Years, compiling some of the inspiring and interesting stories from indigo foundation’s 20 years of operation. Stories will come from grassroots community partners in the countries where indigo foundation works and indigo foundation staff and volunteers in Australia. You will work with key members of our team to identify and solicit a range of stories, interviews and articles. The publication will be launched at indigo foundation’s 20th Anniversary celebrations in 2020, and shared with supporters and stakeholders in Australia and overseas.
- Project managing the publication, including contacting story authors, supporting them to write stories and following up deadlines.
- Proofreading and editing stories (including minor rewriting or cutting where needed) to ensure stories are compelling and readable and there is a consistent tone throughout the publication.
- Sourcing appropriate images for the publication from story authors, community partners and others.
- Writing a small number of stories and conducting interviews, if needed, with community partners or indigo foundation volunteers.
- Communicating with the indigo foundation General Manager on progress and deadlines.
Selection criteria – critical values, skills and abilities
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills
- Experience in a previous role (paid or voluntary) involving writing engaging content for a broad range of audiences
- Commitment to social justice and to indigo foundation’s guiding principles – community ownership, sustainability, transparency and equity
- Project management skills and the ability to meet deadlines, solve problems and manage relationships with a range of stakeholders
- Ability to work collaboratively, value diversity and listen and learn from others
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- Experience developing similar publications in the not-for-profit sector
- Experience as a volunteer or in a volunteer-based organisation
This is a time-limited role, requiring a commitment of approximately 4 hours per week from October 2019 to March 2020 (with the ability to manage time flexibly to deliver the publication within this window).
indigo foundation is a virtual organisation with great team of staff and volunteers throughout Australia, with hubs in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra. You will work from home and the role can be based anywhere in Australia.
About indigo foundation
indigo foundation is an innovative and independent community development organisation based in Australia. For almost 20 years, indigo foundation has supported grassroots organisations in some of the most marginalised communities in the world to pursue their development goals. We currently partner with 17 local organisations across eight countries.
We support local community partners to empower women and girls, improve education and health outcomes, secure better livelihoods for families and defend their human rights. We believe powerful and positive change is achieved through community control over decision-making, honest communication between communities and ourselves and building strong community organisations. We know from the evidence that community-led development works to transform lives and build more resilient communities. Our approach to partnership is built on respect, mutual learning and accepting that progress and setbacks are a normal part of community development.
We are a proudly nimble and creative organisation, with committed volunteers and supporters across Australia.
How to apply for this job
To apply for this role, please send your CV and a cover letter to Fyfe Strachan at firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Editor (volunteer).
Applications close on 18 October 2019. For enquiries, please contact Board Member Fyfe Strachan on email@example.com.
indigo foundation is a child-safe organisation